Water agreement India: Memorandum of Understanding with Morocco
The prime minister of India, Narendra Modi has given his approval for signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Morocco for cooperation in the field of water resources.
The MoU intends to enhance cooperation in the field of water resources development and management within the framework of their expertise and their respective legislations. The domains of bilateral cooperation under this MoU include:
- Conception, realisation and maintenance of the hydraulic infrastructure, notably big dams and water transfer projects;
- Integrated water resources management, i.e., conjunctive use of surface and ground water resources, enhancement of water use efficiency, resilience and adaptation to climate change, artificial recharge of aquifers, organisational, institutional and regulation aspects;
- Flood and drought management;
- Sustainable development and management of ground water resources including recharge augmentation;
- Harvesting and valuation of rainfall water and resilience and adaptation to climate.
The cooperation also includes
- Exchange of visits and missions of experts;
- Exchange of information on programs, publications, expertise and results of research in the field of water resources;
- Develop projects in domains mentioned above, in Morocco and India: develop partnership mechanism with the socio-economic actors in the two countries;
- Ensure reciprocal participation of experts to the water related events and projects;
- and promote cooperation between Hydraulic Basin Agencies of the two countries with an aim to share the expertise on the implementation of the principles of integrated water resource management in the Hydraulic Basins.
Creation of Joint Working Group
The MoU also provides for setting up of a Joint Working Group (JWG) consisting of equal members from both the sides to monitor the activities to be carried out in fulfilment of the MoU. The working group shall hold its annual meeting alternatively in India and Morocco.
The cooperation, centred on the scientific, technical and technological fields, will encourage the establishment/development of bilateral relations between public and private organisations concerning water resources of both the countries. While exchanging the expertise and experiences on latest techniques and technologies, both the countries can learn and improve their skills.
For more news visit our facebook page or twitter.